06 November 2009

There's No Place Like Home!


Hi everyone! This is part of our little mini-series on our home in San Diego. I know, I know, you log in to read all about life on ABOT when I actually spend 99.7% of my time thinking about life back in SD.

The first in our mini-series was the vote on the mixer. Thanks to a overwhelming (and unanimous) voter turnout this year, the white standmixer has been placed back upon the shelf at Williams-Sonoma and we are eagerly awaiting the new red one. I will be sure to post pictures when it arrives. Dan's first question was "where in the kitchen is it going to go with everyone else we have?!?!" But seriously, we have lots of fun "home improvement/decorating" projects in the works, luckily some of which can be done from all the way out here. I am probably the only person worried about decorating her apartment from 9,000 miles away, but seriously I love it and love nothing more than coming back to a place that is well put together. Part 2 is about our new art-work, part 3 will highlight Dan's project: the new bar, and part four will again request much-needed reader opinion- new draw handles on the dresser!

The weather has certainly turned very mild. It's in the upper 80's during the day and in the 70's at night. The wind and breeze comes in from the north now, which means it is no longer humid. (Ok, I mean it's always humid, it is the Middle East and we're surrounded by water and all! But no longer do pools of water form up everywhere like it's just rainied). Sometimes, if I close my eyes and hold my nose, I forget where I am. If I try REALLY hard I almost feel like I'm here. This is the San Diego skyline from Coronado. I know you miss it too, Rach :(


But then I open my eyes and realize I am fact still 11 time zones away.  So, going back to the land of fruits and nuts (that will never get old :), here are two new paintings that are the newest additions to our apartment. The first was a painting that we bought in Montmarte, the "artsy" district in Paris. We walked round and round the square of artists painting and kept coming back to this one lady and her GORGEOUS oil paintings of flowers. We love vibrant, textured and bright painting of flowers/landscape/nature. Not wanting to rush into anything, we let the art soak in over a meal of french onion soup and cafe au lait and then wandered back to the square. After much hemming and hawing between 2 paintings we selected this one. Not a moment later as the artist was boxing it up, but an American woman ran up to us and said "oh noooo- I have had my eye on that all morning, I already bought two of hers this morning and was debating buying this one." Dan said that her reaction made him feel whatever is the opposite of buyer's remorse and thus liked the painting EVEN more.  Here we are with the artist who did our painting. She said it takes a few months for authentic oil paint to dry and so we are going to wait until I get home to frame it.

We are really excited about the painting and can't wait to hang it up over our bed once we frame it.


The 2nd awesome new painting is a little acrylic painting we randomly picked up for 5 euros at a little souvenier shop in Santorini. Actually, come to think of it, we got this awesome work in Oia, this little town in Santorini but 1) I dont have a picture of it and 2) it's already hung up. Maybe Dan will take a picture and send to me :)

Anyways, so we had already gotten the more expensive work but wanted a little something to maybe hang up. Figuring that if we never used it, it would be ok since it was only 5 euros. However, the painting was carried from Santorini to Crete to Athens to Paris to Charlottesville and San Diego (like all the art we bought) so damn it we were going to hang it up! Dan and his new friend at Michael's had some quality time during one of their framing sales and here is the result. I could not be more impressed with this originally $7 art- I am in love with it now and it is hanging in our guest bathroom. Of course, this sparked the need to have the guest bathroom now match the painting. I tell you, "burnt orange" bath mats are a PIA to find. Luckily I finally found them- on backorder until March of 2010 from Pottery Barn. It's a race to see who will make it to SD first: me or the new bath mats! But it's going to be a great mix of one of the shades of orange and some blues in the bathroom. See, come for a visit to San Diego and you can escape to Greece too :)

Alright well that is all for now. I will try and find something interesting going on around ABOT so that I can take a break from blogging about San Diego since you all are probably sick of that. Too bad b/c I'll never get sick of it :) I CAN'T WAIT TO COME HOME ALREADY! AHHHHH! I miss Dan and our home and am ready to be in the same city as him already! The wedding was such a tease now that we STILL don't know what married life is like together. Is it March 27th yet?!

Also, I have been so very lucky to receive SO many wonderful emails from family and friends the past few days. I am sorry that I haven't responded to all of them yet; our internet is really bad at night when I do most of my emailing because that is when the most people are trying to log on and it really slows down. However, I am really happy when I get email and I frequently read them over and over again and promise I am getting through them to respond. I am about to switch to the night watch from 6pm to midnight which should make it easier for me to respond to emails at a time when the internet is better. It will make it more difficult to skype though with people on the East Coast (sorry Mom!)

Alright well that is all for now. I will try and find something exciting to write about later. Love & hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment