What I really wanted to do for Veteran's Day this year was to have a little "guest appearance" by some of my favorite veterans and their experiences. However, I of course didn't realize it was coming up (losing track of time out here? that's a crazy notion!) and so I forgot to ask anyone. I really wanted to publish some of the email stories that a dear friend and sorority sister, Carolyn, used to write to her family and friends during her year in Iraq but I realized that I received them all to my old ship account to which I no longer have access to.
Anyways, I am sure this Veteran's Day is special for her since earlier this month she switched from active duty to the Reserves and is embarking on life as a civilan. Carolyn has taught me how to really try hard to see the beauty in all of your surroundings, find good food everywhere you go, appreciate the little things, make the best of every situation, understand that you control your attitude and of course, surviving everyday life as one of very few women around a bunch of men from a culture very different from your own. Happy Veteran's Day to one of our country's newest veterans and a huge inspiration to me every day!
And here are a few funny signs I found around ABOT. Now that I'm down to my final week here, I'm trying to take in everything and get the most out of this experience. I can't say I'm unhappy that I'll never be back but I definitely want to make the most of it while I can.
tomato risotto with frizzled red onions
1 week ago




I love the signs on ABOT! good to see everyone has a good sense of humor over there :)
ReplyDelete