19 October 2009

Oh Where Oh Where Did My Toenail Go?

Oh where, oh where can he beeeee?

Yes, these are my thoughts as I woke up this AM. I just got back from Doc who was totally astonished by my lack of half of a toenail from the base up. Apparently she has never seen a toenail fall off from the nail bed, normally it is the top part that falls off and then the base keeps growing back and pushes it out.

Dan also said "well I have messed up toenails too!", which is true, his big toenails fall off from the middle part up and grow back like a funky-gorilla toenail- I don't want mine to look at that! Doc said maybe our kids will have NO toenails!!!


Just went I thought things were going relatively "normal" with my feet; and by normal, I miss, goodbye 10 layers of skin on my heels; it was nice to know you but I guess you're gone for good, my big toenail just had to up and peace out. Apparently he doesn't like ABOT either. Join the club, left toenail.

The strange thing is (and I had LOTS of toe problems as a teenager from doing ballet and dancing on my toes), it doesn't hurt. It is just squishy. Yes, the nail bed that is missing a nail is squishy. Is this grossing you out yet? It gets better. The other half, is just hanging on for dear life.

It's so weird. Doc says that we shouldn't remove it while it doesn't hurt; if it doesn't hurt, that is a good sign that it is not infected. She is intrigued to see how it will grow out and said if over the next few days/weeks it isn't pushing the top out, she will remove it. Apparently it is a VERY painful process though to get the shot necessary to numb your toe to remove it so we are going to hold off. I really hope it grows back soon; I really had a hankering for another pedicure in Bahrain.

She also said that she gets a lot of pedicures and this does not look like something caused by an unsanitary pedicure; no infection, no swelling, no soreness. Just that- nothing. No toenail!

So, she sent me away with some antibacterial wash, some anti-infection cream and a few bandaids. Let's just cross our fingers all grows as normal; the thought of any type of surgery, even as minor as a toenail removal, on ABOT kinda freaks me out.


Alright well, I'll leave you with those pleasant thoughts and continue later today with my latest round of care packages and a few more trivia clues!

1 comment: