As you can tell from this post, I am already confused by the time zone. FYI- we are 7 hours ahead of the East Coast & 10 hours ahead of the West Coast.
Alright-
Well, I could hardly make it halfway across the world when I decided that I should write something for my readers (aka- family and friends and the only people who would actually read my meandering, usually pointless stories ☺) so that I had something to post as soon as I reached internet connectivity. As I write this, we are currently flying over Bucharest, en route to Bahrain.
Luckily, the trip has been smooth so far. I read a lot from SD to Philadelphia and then had a frustrating experience on the Philadephia to Frankfurt leg. I was seated next to a German gentleman, who, despite my ridiculously stuffed-up nose and inability to taste anything, was not the freshest smelling of men. He also decided he would like to leave the arm rest between us because it “gave us more room”- or at least that’s what I think he said. See, for him, the arm rest being up does give him more room, by giving me LESS room. I really enjoy that arm rest. I have the fantastic ability to curl into a fetal ball in an airplane seat, with the help of the arm rest. The way I see it, I’m paying as much as he is, so I want all the space I’m afforded. He also struggled putting on his seatbelt and would frequently grope around the seat (and me) for it. This wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t every 2 hours just as I was in a deep slumber.
Regardless, I slept about 6 hours on that flight (in 2 hour increments). I had a super quick layover in Frankfurt, just enough time to go through security at the gate (my new neck pillow and pink alarm clock from Brookstone at the Philadelphia Airport drew alarming suspicious from the security folks and had to go in a little room while they swiped it with one of those explosive detecting things; luckily my clock and I were free to go soon). It cost an arm and a leg to make phone calls/use the internet on their little independent kiosks thus I did not get in touch with anyone in Frankfurt.
We have about 3 ½ hours to go til we get to Bahrain. I’ve been told that someone is meeting us at the airport and we are staying at the Sheraton Bahrain, which is in the heart of the business district. Unfortunately, we have to pay up front for it, but supposedly we will get reimbursed. I’m looking forward to using Dan’s SPG number and maybe get some points or even another upgrade- thank you US Navy!
The flight has been very smooth, we are flying Gulf Air and I have an aisle seat but no one next to me in the window. The blankets are REALLY nice- like actual fleece- teal and blue- and I’m trying to connive my way into taking it with me; I think it will add a punch of color to my room. I had a surprising good lunch of lamb and Coke Light (written in Arabic! I would have totally taken a picture but my camera is up in the overhead). I started reading this month’s Real Simple (like I need to know 5 ways to cook a chicken this month, or any month for awhile; but anyways). I was reading the section where readers write in an answer this month’s question, which was “what is home to you”- the answers were very touching and sweet and then I got to one where the woman responded with “the smell of my husband’s neck right below his ear” to which my emotions overcame me for yet a 3rd time in a 24 hour period (or maybe more or maybe less, I have no idea what time zone I’m in right now) and decided the airplane was really not the place to break into hysteric sobs so I thought I would blog instead.
I guess I should go back and explain what I am doing on a plane to Bahrain and why so emotional.
We returned to SD from our honeymoon on Saturday, completely sick, jet-lagged, and exhausted (what a way to come from a vacation, huh? But it was totally worth it and when the Groundhog’s Day of life on deployment kicks in, I’ll post a few pictures and stories from our 2 weeks of amazing-ness). I was expecting to leave shortly thereafter, probably on Wednesday 30SEP. I was prepared, until Tuesday morning when I was told it would be at LEAST 3-4 business days to process our travel requests and that meant the weekend at the soonest, if not later. So we made grand plans- wine tasting north in Temeculah, brunch at the Hotel del Coronado with Rachel & Billy; all kinds of fun things. Then, Wednesday morning, at 7:45 when I was driving on base for my morning check-in, I got a phone call from the navy travel folks who said they had processed my travel itinerary the night before and that I was scheduled to leave at 11:15 out of San Diego THAT VERY DAY. Apparently, they had sent the itinerary over 12 hours earlier, to the wrong person,another LT Harris, who they had processed some 2 months ago. Awesome. After the initial freak-out, I quickly worked backwards and realized that meant I had to be at the airport in 1 ½ hours. Even more awesome.
After a freak-out phone call with Dan who immediately went into overdrive to get me everything I hadn’t gotten yet (because I thought I had 3-4 more days; thank goodness for the Rite Aid in our building!), I hurriedly finished packing. I threw a bunch of stuff in 2 boxes labeled “ABOT” and “NIMITZ” to be mailed at a later date and then we headed to the airport. It was one of the most emotional, tearful goodbyes I’ve ever had, probably because of the fact that it happened so soon, and while I knew I was leaving, my mind went through the emotional cycle of deploying like 2 times and yet I was still caught off guard.
Regardless, here I am now, closer to the Gulf and farther from home. I have a few days in Bahrain to get a bunch of gear, get my weapons quals updated, pick up some desert cammies and then we’re boarding a helo on Saturday for the oil terminal. (Dan thinks it’s really cool I’m going to ride a helo from the desert to the middle of the ocean so I will be sure to take lots of pictures).
Well, I could probably write more but then what would I write about for the next 6-months of my life ☺ I will include our address out there, I’ve been told stuff takes anywhere from a week to a month to get here but given that we will be gone for 4-5 major holidays (for yet a 2nd year in a row…) anything sent will be most appreciated, if not by me then by someone out here.
This is a much different feeling from any deployment I’ve ever done. It is scary flying all the way out here to meet the people you will live/work with for a long time. It is scary not knowing my job or what to expect. I’m nervous about the heat and the boredom and that people won’t like me. It’s hard leaving a place that is still new to me and my new husband only 2 ½ weeks after the wedding.
On the plus side, I am hoping to score some great Persian rugs in the Gulf to send back home. That, and looking forward to a few extra months of tax-free and family separation pay. Hey, you gotta look at the positives right? 6 months isn’t going anywhere so we’ve got to hold on to what we’ve got. That and the 1,400 wedding pictures I will get to look at all the time ☺
As soon as I am set up on the Oplat (Oil Platform) or ABOT as we call it, (Al Basrah Oil Terminal), I will let you all know. I will have email, facebook, skype, g-chat, you name it.
I miss everyone very dearly and look forward to sharing some hopefully exciting stories over the next 3 months.
Love,
Molly
tomato risotto with frizzled red onions
1 week ago
you can do it!!!! love you and good luck on getting to the boat. they will love you. you are hard working and fun and you are MOLLY LAUFER :) so show them how lucky they are to have you on their crew :) be safe :)
ReplyDeleteYou were already Tovar's hero, what with the catching of bad-guy pirates and putting them in jail for 89 years, but now you're my hero too.
ReplyDeleteWe're so proud of you and everyone will love you. How could they not?