08 March 2010

What's Your Soundtrack?

Does your life have a soundtrack? Is it one particular artist or is it a mix of artists? If it could only be one artist, who would sing your life soundtrack?


If you're one of my fabulous Chi Omega girl friends reading this, it might be Lady Antebellum's new CD. And thanks to one particular Chi-O, I too am the proud owner of her new CD. After many weeks of following on various blogs and f-book posts about the glorious-ness of her new album and wishing I too could hear a new song or two, I was excited (no, excited is not a strong enough word. I was ecstatic, thrilled, full of joy and happiness) to walk into our office after Mail Call and see the only package on the table was ("surprise, surprise", according to the people on staff that I work with) addressed to me with a pretty pink return label from none other than Ms. Annie Coghill.


Inside, was a plethora of things to keep me entertained these last few weeks, including the NEW (ok, not newest, but February, which is pretty new in my book!) issue of Real Simple (also introduced to me by another Chi-O, Bridget) in addition to a few other magazines, a new book, a sweet card, an equally sweet bag of Jelly Bellies (yes, I ate the ENTIRE bag on watch in one sitting- but I did share with some other people in the module) and the NEW Lady Antebellum CD in its entirety. YESSSSSS! I am SOOO excited to finish up my work (and no, blogging is not my work, but it is quite excellent at distracting me from my actual work) and go upload the CD to my iPod so I can listen to it while I lay in bed and read my new magazines, wrapped up in my sheets and blankets that I just washed and dried (with a dryer sheet) so they are soft and smell nice and fluffy. Life is good, yes?


Seriously Banoodle, cannot thank you enough for such an AWESOME care package! Especially at this point in deployment when it's all downhill from here but not fast enough. JUST the pick me up I need to get through another 2-3 weeks. And my response to the eye-rolls from my colleagues for receiving yet ANOTHER care package was that it was not my fault that they didn't have sorority sisters who loved them as much as mine love me :)

On the note of soundtracks, I had my iPod on random today after my run while I wandered around and stretched and what not. During this time, my iPod skipped around to some songs that make up my "un-official Deployment Soundtrack".


What is an Un-official Deployment Sountrack, you ask? It's a compliation of songs that have always remind me of different points of deployment. And for the first time, I was able to listen to the "Homecoming" songs and actually get excited!

Here's my "Deployment Life Playlist":

  • "Save Tonight"- well we know, I'm going away and how I wish, I wish it weren't so, so take this wine and drink with me, let's delay our misery... save tonight, and fight the break of dawn, come tomorrow, tomorrow I'll be gone so save tonight..."
  • "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing" -i could stay lost in this moment forever. 'cuz every moment spent with you is a moment i treasure. i don't wanna close my eyes, i don't wanna fall asleep cause i miss you babe, and i don't want to miss a thing"
  • "Leaving On a Jet Plane"- every place i go, i think of you, every song i sing, i sing for you, when i come back i'll wear your wedding ring. 'cuz i'm leaving on a jetplane, don't know when i'll be back again, oh babe i hate to go..."
  • "If You're Going Through Hell"- you know those times when it feels like there's a sign there on your back it says I don't mind if you kick me, seems like everybody has. Things go from bad to worse you think they can't get worse then that and then they do
  • "Other Side of the World" [this song was introduced to me by a good friend Austin when our then-boyfriends, now husbands, were away for a month adventuring around Vietnam and China after graduation] - and the fire fades away, most of every day, is full of tired excuses, but it's too much to say I wish I were simple but we'd give up easily, you're close enough to see that you're the other side of the world to me
  • "Home"- maybe surrounded by a million people i, i still feel all alone, just wanna go home oh i miss you, you know. i've been keeping all the letters that i wrote to you, each one a line or two, i'm fine baby how are you? i would send them but i know that it's just not enough, my words are cold and flat and you deserve than that. another aeroplane, another sunny place, i'm lucky i know, but i wanna go home.
  • "Here Without You"- a hundred days have made me older since the last time that i saw your pretty face, a thousand lives have made me colder and i don't think i can look at this the same, but all the miles that separate, disappear when i'm dreaming of your face
  • "Soldier Coming Home"- I saw a husband run off the plane to his wife. He was full of emotion, didn't care who could see. It made me stop and wonder when's the last time you looked at me like you were a soldier comin' home. Like you counted the nights you were gone. Like each moment together's more precious then ever now that you're safe inside of my arms
  • "Today"- I woke up this morning, with a feeling inside me that I can't explain like I weight that I've carried has been carried away. I know something is coming, I don't know what it is but I know it's amazing, you save me, my time is coming I'll find my way out of this longest drought and it feels like today
  • And hands down, the BEST homecoming song EVER- "Home"- staring out into the night, trying to hide the pain. I'm going to the place where feeling good and love don't ever cost a thing. And the pain you feel is a different kind of pain. i'm going home, to the place where I belong. Where your love has always been enough for me. not running from, you know I think you got me all wrong, I don't regret this life I chose for me, but these places and these faces are getting old, so I'm going home.
Yeah, so I'm pretty stoked. After my workout, I put all of these songs (and a few others) into a "Deployment Playlist" mix and was pleased to skip to the last 3 and listen to those on repeat. Do you have songs that remind you of home or take you back somewhere comforting?

Alright, back to work. I am trying to work quickly and furiously and tire myself out so I can fall asleep. We're 18 days out and I ALREADY have channel fever and can barely sleep because my mind is already racing. If I were a puppy [a pug, of course], my tail would be wagging 24/7 til March 26th!!!

2 comments:

  1. YEAH!!! I just downloaded the Lady Antebellum soundtrack and you are so right that every song is amazing! I can't wait to see you in a less than 2 weeks! WOOHOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be (slightly) obsessed with "American Honey." Makes me ready for sunshine and summertime, which you will be able to enjoy in San Diego oh so soon!

    ReplyDelete