07 April 2010

Sideways


Let me show you how this is done. First thing, hold the glass up and examine the wine against the light. You're looking for color and clarity. Just, get a sense of it. OK? Uhh, thick? Thin? Watery? Syrupy? OK? Alright. Now, tip it. What you're doing here is checking for color density as it thins out towards the rim. Uhh, that's gonna tell you how old it is, among other things. It's usually more important with reds. OK? Now, stick your nose in it. Don't be shy, really get your nose in there. Mmm... a little citrus... maybe some strawberry... ... passion fruit... and, oh, there's just like the faintest soupçon of like asparagus and just a flutter of a, like a, nutty Edam cheese... ~Miles Raymond, Sideways

So long, blogger friends & family. I know I've been terrible about updating, I haven't even been busy with work, just busy soaking in the real world.

But for now, Dan & I are off to the heart of wine country tonight! We'll be sipping and tasting with our friends Jeremy & Laura (J. worked with Dan at Bain and L. is his girlfriend) for 3 nights in Napa with 2 full days of wine tours (one to Sonoma in a big bus and one in Napa in our our private limo) followed by the weekend in San Francisco. 

Can't wait to  taste some great wines, eat some fantastic food, relax, travel and get away for a little bit. Looking forward to San Fran too for some great food in Chinatown, a bike trip across the Golden Gate Bridge and who can go to S.F. and not check out Alcatraz.

We'll be back Sunday night with lots of stories to update on, I'm sure!

3 comments:

  1. enjoy! just knowing you are happy, home and safe, makes this side of the world happy! Sonoma has the cutest little town square if you get to get off the bus. :) Sending you happy wine thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about your trip! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete