08 August 2007

Happy Birthday... to who?

I was coming into the wardroom to eat dinner and SUPPO was like “did you get the word for the meeting at 1800? Can you be here?” and I was like “uhh I didn’t get the word but I’m just going to sit down and eat so I’ll be there” and she was like “ok good!” and then I was sitting down eating my roll and waiting for my food when the XO was like “ms harris, can I see you over here about something?” and I was like “uhhh… yes sir…” wondering what exactly I had done that was SO bad that the XO had to take me out of my seat in the middle of dinner into the hallway. He proceeds to question me for a few minutes about the personal electrical safety checks and how it went and all; obviously a conversation I figured we’d eventually have, but not in the middle of dinner. So then he was like “ok that’s good thanks” which I thought was totally weird.

Then, like 1 minute after sitting down, they brought out a cake and the whole wardroom sang happy birthday to me. Except, I had no idea it was for me (b/c my birthday was 2 days ago, and I’d since forgot I really even had one) so I just start singing along to the happy birthday song, figuring that eventually I’d figure out whose birthday it was. And then, everyone is like staring and laughing at me, and they lower the cake and I see “ENS Harris” on it and I was like “ohh! That’s me!!” and got super excited. Now everyone won’t stop making fun of me and was like “only ENS Harris would sing happy birthday to herself b/c she had no idea what was going on…” and we all got a good laugh out of it. It was SO SO nice of them, and literally made my day. And, the funnier part was that it was carrot cake (the background behind this being that a) SBR either has a contract with sarah lee to provide us with nothing but carrot cake or b) instead of cocaine we found ships with bales of carrot cake floating around, as we have carrot cake literally like 5 out of the 7 days a week for dessert; I mean, it’s actually really good carrot cake, but we have it ALL the time) and they covered it with icing and wrote on it in pink frosting, which of course, made my day. It was awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Molls I laughed so hard when I read this...classic. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete